IANTD Self-Sufficient diver
The IANTD Self-sufficient diver program has been designed to provide qualified divers with “self-supported – self-sufficient” training.
Requirements for Self-Sufficient diver
- Must be a qualified IANTD Deep diver or equivalent.
- Proof of a minimum of 25 logged dives or sufficient experience to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training.
- It’s mandatory that you demonstrate good buoyancy and trim. A maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal is allowed and you must remain within 1 m of a target depth and stay stationary inside a radius of 1 m while demonstrating a skill. When you have doubt if you fulfill this requirements take in consideration to follow our XTend on TB – Trim and Buoyancy training.
- You must be, minimum age of 18 years.
IANTD Self-Sufficient diver program
- Self-sufficient diver theory.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of open water bottom time completed within four (4) dives.
- Dry runs.
- Equipment configuration and skill practicing in confined water.
- S-Drill, valve shutdowns, SMB practice and gas management.
- Navigation and simulating of equipment failure.
- Propulsion techniques: modified flutter, frog and standard shuffle kicks and helicopter turn.
Required dive equipment
- A 15 l single cylinder with a dual outlet valve or double cylinders 10 / 12 l with isolator (rental is included during the course)
- BCD or wing, the size and shape must be appropriate to the cylinder size used during the training
- When a wing is used, backplate and harness with one continuous piece of webbing and five D-rings
- One first stage with DIN connection that supply a primary second stage via a 2 m long hose (with stainless steel bolt snap) and a inflator hose connected to the BCD / wings inflator
- One first stage with DIN connection that supply a necklaced backup second stage via a short hose and a analog pressure gauge (the high pressure hose must contain a stainless steel bolt snap), if needed inflator hose for the dry suit.
- Adequate thermal protection (dry suit is recommended)
- If you dive in a wetsuit than a cargo short is mandatory
- Mask and rigid (non-split) fins
- Backup mask
- Spool with a minimum of 30 m of line and a stainless steel double-ender
- Backup spool with a minimum of 15 m of line and a stainless steel double-ender
- One SMB (surface marker buoy), closed model
- One extra stainless steel double-ender
- One backup light with stainless steel bolt snap, stored on the harness chest D-ring during wing use or appropriate stored while using a BCD
- Two (enriched air) dive computers or one (enriched air) dive computer and one digital bottom timer
- Wrist-mounted underwater compass
- Wetnotes with pencil plus stainless steel double-ender
- Knife or line cutter and backup
Aquarius dive center prides itself on extremely high standards of safety and quality and as such reserve the right to refuse any equipment deemed not to meet these standards. To be sure that your equipment meets the course requirements you should contact us so we can discuss details in advance. If there is a need for you to buy equipment, you will find most of it in our dive shop, or online 24/7 at our webstore.
How long will it take?
The complete course takes 3 days.
What does the IANTD Self-Sufficient diver cost?
€ 399 Included Taxes and:
- Free transport from dive center to the dive site
- Self-sufficient diver theory
- 4 open water dives *
- Temporary use of course materials
- Cylinder refills during the course
- IANTD Self-sufficient certificate
*If you don’t meet the required skill standards during the four IANTD Self-Sufficient dives, we will have to make additional dives, each additional dive will cost 89 euro, this excludes required dive equipment.
If you need our pick-up service, please contact us about the possibilities.
IANTD Self-Sufficient diver – what will I need?
You need to bring your dive certificate, logbook and dive insurance.
The required dive equipment, not included in course costs, must either be brought by student or rented from us. We offer a 50% discount on standard dive equipment rental price during this course. Please check with us what is available to rent and, inform us in advance of requirements.
What will your next adventure be?