PADI Tec 40
The PADI Tec 40 course is where you transition from recreational scuba diving to technical diving. It’s a great place to start because it’s the first subdivision of the full PADI Tec diver course and bridges the gap between no stop diving and full technical deep decompression diving.
You gain experience and begin building the knowledge and skills you need to continue your Tec diver training.
Requirements for Tec 40
- You must be, minimum age of 18 years.
- Certified as a PADI Advanced open water diver or equivalent.
- PADI Enriched air diver with at least 10 dives using enriched air deeper than 18 meter/60 feet.
- PADI Deep diver or proof of at least 10 dives to 30 meter/100 feet.
- Have a minimum of 30 logged dives (10 with EANx, 7 deeper than 30 meter/100 feet).
- A Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
- It’s mandatory that you demonstrate good buoyancy and trim. A maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal is allowed and you must remain within 1 m of a target depth and stay stationary inside a radius of 1 m while demonstrating a skill. When you have doubt if you fulfill this requirements take in consideration to follow our XTend on TB – Trim and Buoyancy training.
Note that qualifying certifications from other diver training organizations may apply, ask us if there is any doubt.
PADI Tec 40 program
The Tec 40 course consists of three knowledge development sections, three practical application sessions and four training dives. You’ll learn about:
- Technical diving’s risks and responsibilities.
- Tech diving equipment, proper rigging and set-up.
- Gas planning, oxygen limits and decompression planning.
- Team diving techniques.
- Emergency procedures, such as free flows, manifold leaks and out of gas situations.
How long will it take?
* The complete program takes minimum 4 days if agreed prerequisites met (self study).
Required dive equipment
- A single cylinder with a dual outlet valve (only possible during the tec 40 if necessary backgas allows. If the tec 40, 45 and 50 are done consecutively than the use of doubles is mandatory (rental is included during the course)
- When the Tec 40, 45 and 50 are done consecutively, double cylinders 12 l with isolator (rental is included during the course)
- Wing, the size and shape must be appropriate to the cylinder size used during the training (rental is included during the course)
- Backplate and harness with one continuous piece of webbing and five D-rings (rental is included during the course)
- One first stage with DIN connection that supply a primary second stage via a 2 m long hose (with stainless steel bolt snap) and a inflator hose connected to the wings inflator
- One first stage with DIN connection that supply a necklaced backup second stage via a short hose and a analog pressure gauge (the high pressure hose must contain a stainless steel bolt snap), if needed inflator hose for the dry suit.
- Adequate thermal protection (dry suit is recommended)
- If you dive in a wetsuit than a cargo short is mandatory (available for rent)
- Mask and rigid (non-split) fins
- Backup mask
- Spool with a minimum of 30 m of line and a stainless steel double-ender
- One SMB (surface marker buoy), closed model
- One extra stainless steel double-ender
- One backup light with stainless steel bolt snap, stored on the harness chest D-ring
- Two enriched air dive computers or one enriched air dive computer and one digital bottom timer (at least one multiple gas computer is recommended)
- Wrist-mounted underwater compass
- Wetnotes with pencil plus stainless steel double-ender
- Knife or line cutter and backup
- One stage leash with a stainless steel double-ender (available for rent and only necessary during the Tec 50 course)
Aquarius dive center prides itself on extremely high standards of safety and quality and as such reserve the right to refuse any equipment deemed not to meet these standards. To be sure that your equipment meets the course requirements you should contact us so we can discuss details in advance. If there is a need for you to buy equipment, you will find most of it in our dive shop, or online 24/7 at our webstore.
What does the PADI Tec 40 cost?
€ 449 Included Taxes and:
- Free transportation from dive center to dive site
- PADI/DSAT Tec deep diver manual
- 3 knowledge development sessions
- 3 Practical applications
- 4 dives, 1 confined water and 3 open water *
- Rental single or double cylinder inclusive air
- Rental stage/decompression cylinder inclusive decompression gas up to 50%
- Rental stage/decompression regulator inclusive rigging kit and cam-bands
- Rental wing with back plate and harness
- Rental 2 first and second stages with longhose configuration
- Analyzer rental
- PADI Tec 40 certification
Note that decompression gasses are only included for the minimum requirements.
*If you don’t meet the required skill standards during the four Tec 40 dives, we will have to make additional dives, each additional dive will cost 89 euro, this includes necessary gases.
If you need our pick-up service, please contact us about the possibilities.
Tec 40 – what will I need?
You need to bring your dive certificate, logbook and dive insurance.
The required dive equipment, not included in course costs, must either be brought by student or rented from us. We offer a 50% discount on standard dive equipment rental price during this course. Please check with us what is available to rent and, inform us in advance of requirements.
Mandatory self study
Before the student attends the first course date, any knowledge development section(s), knowledge review(s) and, if applicable, the course handouts provided will be studied and all the necessary questions are answered by the student. If the student does not meet these requirements, the course needs to be extended by one (1) day and we will charge an additional 100 euro for this extra day.
Tec 40 qualifies you to:
Dive to a maximum depth of 40 meters/130 feet using air or enriched air.
Make dives with up to 10 minutes required decompression.
Use enriched air nitrox with up to 50 percent oxygen (EAN50) during decompression to make it more conservative.
COMBO Tec 40 + Sidemount
Min. 4 days, 669 euro. – BOOK NOW
Tec 40 + Sidemount offers the same benefits as the PADI Sidemount course but gives you the opportunity to dive with 2 tanks for extended decompression dive times.
COMBO Tec 40 + Tec 45
Min. 7 days, 799 euro. – BOOK NOW
A combo of the Tec 40 and Tec 45 courses, done consecutively.
COMBO Tec 40 + Tec 45 + Tec 50
Min. 10 days, 1099 euro. – BOOK NOW
A combo of the Tec 40, Tec 45 and Tec 50 courses, done consecutively.
Note minimum mentioned days if agreed prerequisites met (self study).
What will your next adventure be?