IANTD Wreck diver
When you choose to do your IANTD Wreck diver course here, with Aquarius dive center, you are guaranteed more than 2 decades of experience in this course. Our course promises standards that can only come with that type of experience.
Requirements for Wreck diver
- Must be advanced diver qualified or equivalent.
- Proof of a minimum of 30 logged dives or sufficient experience to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training.
- Must be able to demonstrate proper buoyancy and trim.
- Before commencing the course there is a confined water session for evaluation.
- Minimum of 15 years of age for diver qualification with a parent or guardian authorization, OR; 18 years of age without consent.
IANTD Wreck diver program
The wreck diver course teaches the diver theory, skills and procedures needed to safely, and competently, dive in the overhead environment of a wreck.
The main emphasis of this program is on developing self-sufficiency and safety whilst undertaking this type of diving. This knowledge is gained through a combination of theory and in water skill development.
The course takes place over a minimum of 4 days, it consists of 1 confined and 4 open water dives.
- Wreck dive theory and dive planning.
- Equipment configuration.
- Line drills and use of line reels (water and land).
- Propulsion techniques.
- Use of line markers.
- Wreck mapping techniques.
- Handling with emergency situations.
- Wreck penetration.
* Where needed the course progress will be evaluated by using modern under water video techniques.
For the IANTD wreck diver program we are lucky to have the choice of several wrecks, El Penon, El Condesito and El Meridian. The wreck(s) will be chosen according to training purpose, weather and sea conditions.
How long will it take?
The complete course takes 4 days.
First day outline
- Course explanation.
- Equipment setup.
- Confined water session *.
* The confined water session is a checkup where we evaluate if the participant is ready to continue with the course.
If, after the confined water session, we decide that the participant is not ready to continue, a charge 79 euros will be levied to cover costs of the first day.
Required dive equipment
- A dual-outlet cylinder (rental of this cylinder is included during the course)
- Wing with back plate and harness (single tank adapter)
- Adequate thermal protection
- 2 first and second stages – 1st stages must have a DIN connection
- A long hose with boltsnap (length depending on your equipment configuration)
- Backup mask
- A spool with double-ender and reel
- 1 SMB
- 1 extra double-ender
- 1 main (canister) light with Goodman handle and 2 backup lights with boltsnaps
- 2 dive computers or dive computer and bottom timer
- Underwater compass
- Wet-notes plus double-ender
- Knife and line cutter
Aquarius dive center prides itself on extremely high standards of safety and as such reserve the right to refuse any equipment deemed not to meet these standards. To be sure that your equipment meets the course requirements we recommend you contact us so we can discuss details in advance. If there is a need for you to buy equipment, you will find most of it in our dive shop, or online 24/7 at our webstore.
What does the IANTD Wreck diver cost?
€ 465 Included Taxes and:
- Transfer from hotel to dive center
- Free transport from dive center to the dive site
- Wreck diver theory
- Confined water session
- 4 Open water dives
- Rental dual-outlet cylinder inclusive Air fillings
- Temporary use of course materials
- IANTD Wreck diver certificate
Extra sessions, or open water dives, may be required to reach the standard. Each extra session costs € 45.
The required dive equipment, not included in course costs, must either be brought by student or rented from us. We offer a 50% discount on standard dive equipment rental price during this course. Please check with us what is available to rent and, inform us in advance of requirements .
* All dives during the IANTD wreck dive training be made using EANx (Nitrox).
As Advanced EANx diver or equivalent there is the opportunity to make the course with doubles, stage and decompression obligation(s).
It is also possible to do the course in sidemount configuration but the student needs to be certified as a sidemount diver and have proof of sufficient experience in sidemount diving. Please discuss with us for clarification
EANx fills, doubles and deco stage(s) are not included in the course price but we offer a 50% discount on the standard rental price during this course.
IANTD Wreck diver – what will I need?
All you need beside the required dive equipment is your dive certificate, logbook and dive insurance.
You will follow the course under the tuition of IANTD Wreck dive instructor Harry Bakker, who has been diving and teaching since 1990. His main passion is wreck diving and the related techniques involved.
Some of Harry´s main achievements were the discovery of multiple wrecks in the Black Sea, one of the high lights being the discovery and identification of the Russian submarine SC-213 which sunk the Jewish refugee ship “Struma” killing over more than 780 people. An important piece of history to discover and map out.
During the past 2 decades he has carried out hundreds of wreck dives over dozens of sites, mainly in the Northern Hemisphere under harsh conditions. This makes Harry ideally suited to teach this specialty course.
An insight into all this, and drawing on his experience, will be an added extra for anyone doing the IANTD Wreck diver course with us.
What will your next adventure be?